A Client of Idea Connection is looking for genetically modified (GM) Indica Bt rice events that can be commercialized in India. Pests such as rice stem borers and rice leaf folders cause considerable crop losses in India. Widespread cultivation of corn that has been genetically engineered to produce insecticidal proteins isolated from Bacillus thurigiensisi> (Bt) has reduced crop losses and increased crop yields in North America. The client would like to identify GM Bt Indica rice events that are stably expressed in Indica rice background and offer season-long resistance to rice stem borers.
$2,000 AwardFor identifying a company that has one or more GM rice events and interested in licensing/partnering/commercializing these events in India. The GM event must meet all the following criteria:
- One or more Bt genes in the construct;
- Stable and season-long resistance to rice stem borers.
(Resistance to yellow stem borer and India rice leaf folder would be a plus);
- Sufficient efficacy based on bioassay data. The target insect survival rate should be no more than 8% during in vitro feed experiments. qRT-PCR and ELISA data must be provided as additional support for bioassay data;
- Constitutive promoter is preferred. However, tissue specific promoters will be considered as well if sufficient efficacy is achieved in leaf, sheath and stem,
- Freedom to operate;
- No negative impact on yield or other agronomic parameters;
- Adequate information to demonstrate product safety;
- Expressed in Indica rice background, and
- Single copy insertion that is stably inherited and expressed,