This competition is run by World Bank- may be first of its kind. Analyst Kit Eaton says the intention behind this is that entrants will craft apps (for any platform from Web-based to smart phone to tablet PCs) that use World Bank data in creative and useful ways, either producing innovative analysis tools or visualizations. Anyone can enter, as a team or alone, and the overall mission is to "reduce global poverty by putting important data into the hands of those who can make a difference in developing countries."
In order to be considered for prizes, submissions must be original software applications solely owned by the entrant(s), which must use at least one of the World Bank datasets found at http://data.worldbank.org. The text descriptions in the contest submission must accurately describe the functionality of the application, and all submitted materials must be in English, or include an English translation.
- Submission Period: Start: Oct 07, 2010 12:00 PM EDT End: Jan 10, 2011 05:00 PM EST
- Judging Period: Start: Jan 31, 2011 12:00 PM EST End: Feb 28, 2011 05:00 PM EST
- Public Voting Period: Start: Jan 31, 2011 12:00 PM EST End: Feb 28, 2011 05:00 PM EST
- Winners announced: April, 2011
- Details: http://appsfordevelopment.challengepost.com/